Some Internship Details.
I was an intern at DeepMap, Inc. for two summers in a row. DeepMap is a start-up located in Palo Alto that works on HD mapping for autonomous vehicles. I really enjoyed spending my summers there because I got to learn from some of the best engineers in the mapping industry.
While the details of my project are confidential, here's an overview of what I learned during my internships:
- Familiarized with various programming tools and skills used in HD mapping for autonomous vehicles
- Developed Training Data Browser UI tool, a tool for customers to browse through training data images (obtained from LiDAR sensors and cameras from vehicle) and buy them in batch. This entire project includes three major components: a browser/client app to browse the images by category; scripts and a server to serve training data images to the browser/client app; and a training data rendering tool to create/upload the training data images (using Amazon Web Services/S3 Store/Postgres Database)
- Worked on training data generation platform, specifically to generate vector data labels for lane lines using C++ and OpenCV
- Developed Java Code Labs project to demonstrate use of tools, IDEs, builds, and style for new interns and employees
- Worked on high precision data labelling, modelling and classification of real world data. Built and QA-ed highly detailed 2D/3D maps, referencing multiple sources including sensor data and digital street maps, that help self-driving cars operate. Helped identify customer needs for several clients in personalized mapping projects
- Presented weekly demonstrations of current projects to entire company
- Attended exciting Andreessen Horowitz intern events
- Went Skydiving with my fellow interns!
I sincerely thank the entire DeepMap, Inc. team for the opportunity to learn so many skills that I hope to use for the rest of my career.